Sometimes known as the “Miracle Lens”, orthokeratology also known as orthok is a vision correction therapy that provides clear, comfortable vision without the need to wear contact lenses during the day. You just sleep with your lenses in, remove them in the morning and you are then able to see “normally” during the day!
We have been using Orthok in the practice since 2007 with incredible success; it truly changes people’s lives.
Orthok is ideal for low-mid short sighted(myopic) people who:
- > Want clear natural vision all day – every day
- > Have considered refractive surgery because of the freedom it provides, but are worried about the risks
- > Find soft contact lenses do not fulfil the comfort demands their life-style places on their eyes
- > Are involved in recreational and sports activities where periods without wearing contact lenses is ideal eg Surfers, lifeguards
In the Far East myopia is becoming an epidemic but there is a growing body of evidence showing that children with short-sightedness who use orthok can achieve a reduction in the rate of increase of their myopia by up to 50%!
It may sound too good to be true however it does work and it is safe. The front of the eye is very elastic and if you decide to stop the treatment your eyes will return to their original shape and the old spectacles can be worn again.
We can supply you with referrals if you would rather speak to one of our patients who use orthok. To review the evidence please visit www.myopiaprevention.org .
SO, HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?
Very simply, Orthok uses a specially designed contact lens that reverses the power of the cornea, at the front of the eye during overnight wear. Once the full effect has taken place, the eye is effectively ‘normal’ and can see clearly during the day.
With Orthok you will benefit from:
- > Freedom from contact lenses and glasses during the day
- > Very easy adaptation, only overnight lens wear required
- > A comfortable, semi-permanent alternative for the correction of short sightedness
- > A safe and reversible vision correction therapy without surgery
Orthok lenses are manufactured from special highly oxygen permeable material. When worn during the night these lenses apply a very slight hydrodynamic force (which you do not feel) to the front of the eye (the cornea), eliminating your short sightedness.
This effect stays strong enough for you to function the entire day without spectacles or contact lenses.
Orthok is available to patients with the following degrees of short sightedness:
- > A spherical spectacle prescription of -0.75D up to -4.50D
- > Astigmatism of up to -1.50D
We can supply you with referrals if you would rather speak to one of our patients who use orthok.
To experience the freedom of Orthok, call us today on 01792 363353 to find out more or book a consultation.
Other websites of interest: